Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Kelso - Ontario Cup #6............


Date: August 7, 2011
Race: Ontario Cup #6, Kelso Conservation Area, Milton, Ontario
Promotors: Chico Racing

Finally an O-Cup that we could do as a day trip!  Well I guess any could be but this one is the closest to home, only 3(+) hours away!  Kim, Jay and myself made the trip to Kelso to pre-ride on Friday, August 5.  There were no surprises...... long service road climb, fast single track, false flats, rocks, double track, fun descent, switch back climb......  The course was fun and the 1:30 start even had some technical lines through the rock sections that made things interesting!  After 2 laps I felt like I had found flow and knew the course enough to race.

Race Day:
We were out the door for 8:00 am, got on the 401 and headed North!  As we got closer we could see Milton had got quite a bit of rain.  The rain was off and on all morning.  However, come our 1:30 start the rain had passed!  I warmed up as usual, and got a quick chat in with Mandy.  Due to the weather our start had been delayed by 10 min.  It seemed like forever waiting to get to the line!  Around 1:40 we were off!  I had a rather conservative start, I got squeezed in a bit but there was no need to panic...... the opening service road climb is a loooonnnng climb!  I hit the base of the climb probably 5th wheel.  Then made a couple passes before the top of the climb.  As I crested the climb I was sitting in 3rd.  My recovery was a bit slow but I knew to be patient.  Mikaela Kofman (3 Rox Racing) was in the lead and Mandy Dreyer was in 2nd.  I lost site of the 2 for a little bit but then wheeled Mandy in about half way through lap 1.  Mandy slid out on a descending rock garden and I was able to get around her.  At that point Heather Gray was on my wheel.  We road safely through the very slick rock sections and came around for lap #2 together.  I pushed a little harder up the long start climb on lap 2 and not long after I realized I was on my own.  I just kept a steady pace, wanting to keep the rubber side down!  Well that was until my final lap, I endoed, slow motion over my handlebars, hit my helmet/head off a tree and my shoulder off the ground.  Ya, it hurt a bit...  but I just needed to get through this lap!  So in the end my effort was good to take 2nd!!  I was happy with my finish, got a few new bruises, and a sore shoulder.  Oh racing..... never a dull moment!  Makes me feel alive!!

Cheers,
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment