Monday, August 8, 2011

Manitoulin Island - Largest Island in a Freshwater Lake in the World.......

With the long break between O-Cups I found plenty of things to do!!  I raced the Stony Creek TT in Michigan, I took 1st and my teammate Erin took 2nd!  Fun ride, fun race, fun course!

Other then some riding and everyday "my life" stuff I also was very lucky to get away for a few days with the kids to Manitoulin Island (unfortunately Jay had to work).  Friends of ours and our kids had invited us to stay at their cottage with them last year and the timing didn't work out, so this year with a few months notice, we made it happen!

We left around 8:00 a.m. Saturday, July 30, to allow for plenty of time to get to Tobermory for the 3:40 pm sail time aboard the Chi-Cheemaun.  With it being a long weekend, traffic was a bit heavy and it took us almost 6.5 hrs to get there.  The ferry ride was approx. 2 hrs.  Once we arrived on the Island we drove another 1.5 hours to get to camp.  En route I couldn't help but notice the rolling terrain!  I knew that was going to be great for my only "planned" activity...... bike rides/training rides!

With the cottage being about 5.5 km off the main road I had the kids lead me out on the quad and then meet me on the return.  Okay I'll be honest..... it gave me comfort knowing that I wasn't alone in the woods, down a quite road/lane knowing there is black bears about!  The island is awesome and my rides were great!

The trip didn't solely revolve around my biking.......there was fishing, boating, tubing, quad riding, swimming, hiking, eating, and relaxing.  The cottage was very cozy and spacious and the property was beautiful.  All the kids got along great and kept themselves busy!  Of course at some point our trip had to come to an end.  We made our way back home on Wednesday, Aug 3, sailing time 5:40 p.m., arrived home @ 1:30 a.m. Thursday!  Thanks to Jeff and Rachel for inviting us and for being great hosts! So much fun was had by all!!

Cheers,
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment