Monday, March 21, 2011

Two wheels..........

Yesterday, being Sunday, I rode with the bikeSABBATH group again.  For a few pictures and ride details check out their blog
My post today is not so much about the ride but rather a very brief conversation that took place on the ride.  So there we were riding down the road two by two.  I was riding next to a gentleman that I had never met.  Me on a mountain bike and him on a road bike.  We were about second from the front and he began with a bit of small talk.  He then said, something along the lines of, "I'm surprised the mountain bikes haven't been put away yet."  To which I replied, "Well that's what I ride, that's all I ride, in fact I don't own a road bike.  Mountain biking is what I do."  There wasn't much more said after that.  I understand he meant no harm in what he said but it got me thinking.  Why would one assume that everyone has a road bike?  I don't assume everyone has a mountain bike.  Understandably the majority of the riders out on the Sunday ride are roadies, so perhaps it was a given that we all had a road bike?  Even if I had a road bike that wouldn't mean my mtb gets "put away".  Interesting!  Just happy to be riding on two wheels, mine just so happens to have nobbier/wider tires!

Cheers,
Sue
    

5 comments:

  1. I don't have a road bike either. I did at one point, but then I sold it for a SS...which is much more fun to ride anyways :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, seriously, buy a road bike and be done with it. You don't have to abandon the mountain bike, both bikes can co-habitat. Did you see how happy Kim looked on that new road bike?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. bikeSABBATH,
    You are correct, Kim had a huge grin from ear to ear on Sunday. I will live vicariously through her..... for now! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although my Scott is & always will be my first love, Mr. bikeSABBATH is right...both my Scott and Specialized co-habitat & get along just fine! There was some jealousy at first when I'm all geared up and choose one over the other but they've learned that jealousy is for the "weak hearted" and won't be tolerated!
    Sue, we can have shared custody of my road bike...you can have visitation hours Monday to Friday 8am-3pm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't give Sue skinny tires to ride. Please. She does enough damage on the knobbies. Sue you should show up on kims for the first chock race and watch everyone shake in their booties.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete