Monday, November 25, 2013

A Little Bit Of Cross........

"Cyclo-cross (sometimes cyclocrossCXCCXcyclo-X or 'cross) is a form of bicycle racing. Races typically take place in the autumn and winter (the international or "World Cup" season is October–February), and consist of many laps of a short (2.5–3.5  km or 1.5–2  mile) course featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike while navigating the obstruction and remount.[1][2] Races for senior categories are generally between 30 minutes and an hour long, with the distance varying depending on the ground conditions."  

Coming from a mountain bike background, cyclocross does not hurt any less, it just hurts in a different way!  On the weekend I headed over to Bloomer Park, Rochester Hills, MI.  Tailwind Racing had back to back cyclocross races on the Saturday and Sunday.  I had cyclocross tires put on my mtb.  I did one CX race a couple years ago.  It was such a good feeling to have no pressure and very little nerves going to a race.  Ahhhh........

Day 1 - Saturday, Nov. 23. -  It was about -1 C at race time.  The course was awesome, a bit muddy, a bit slick, a bit tight, a bit twisty and a whole lot of fun!  What really stands out in my mind from Day 1 was just how bad I was at dismounting!  Geesh.... I think I came to a complete stop a couple of times.  With Kelly Paterson and Ann Schwartz on the line I knew it was gonna be tough.  Kelly took off from the line and lead the race start to finish.  I came in second about 6 sec. behind her.  I was smiling from ear to ear.  

Day 1 - Pro women at the line!

Day 1 - I'm really not pigeon toed but this picture says otherwise!  I knew it felt awkward and after seeing this picture it wasn't pretty either! 

Day 1 - Podium

Day 2 - Sunday, November 24 - It was about -5 C at race time.  There was a small change to the course.  Again it was awesome, hard pack, dry, fast and of course a whole lot of fun!  On Day 2 the women's field grew by 3 making it 8 at the line.  Kelly was first off the line and I was right behind her.  Her and I battled the whole race.  There was improvement on my dismounting and getting over the barriers. In the end on Day 2 it was me that crossed the line first by not even a second!  Once again a great time!!

Bottle/block of ice!

Getting pinned up!

Day 2 - Podium

I guess I wasn't quite ready to be done my season after Iceman.....  and I just might extend it a little longer for the final Tailwind Racing CX race, December 8!

Cheers,
Sue

1 comment:

  1. GO Sue! You rock because beating K-Pat in a cross race is no small feat.

    ReplyDelete