Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mansfield, Ontario Cup #1.............................

(Erin and I getting ready for our first race of the season!)

The first race of the season is always interesting.... how is your fitness, how are your technical skills, how are the climbing legs and the list goes on and on......  Mansfield is the perfect place to work out the cobwebs!  The course boasted some wide open gradual climbs as well as some punchier climbs and some fun downhills.  Total ascent for the 34 km race was approximately 732 vertical meters.  
We lucked out with warmer then predicted weather come race day which is always a bonus this time of year!  Going into the race I was dealing with the beginnings of a chest cold/congestion but was hoping the effect it had on me would be minimal if any.  Erin and I had a great warm up and found a new way to calm the nerves (thanks to the warm up #AlisonDunlap).  The pro/elite women had 18 racers, among them was the Ontario and Quebec Provincial champs.  The field was strong!  At "go" I missed my pedal about a half dozen times as I struggled to clip in.  (need to work on my starts!)  I felt great through the lap 1,2 and half way through 3.  I was sitting in 5th with Heather Gray (Cycle Solutions) right on my tail.  We had closed the gap and were catching 3rd and 4th place.  I came around lap 4 and it turned into a different race.  Heather made a push on the gradual long climb at the start of the final lap and I couldn't push with her.  My breathing became more laboured and my chest tighter.  I found myself gasping and trying to breath through my nose the best I could (not easy for a mouth breather!)  I finished in 6th and Erin in 10th.  Regardless of my breathing issue, I was pleased with my effort and I feel strong going into the season.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Quiring Ti 29er!  Congrats to all who were at Mansfield racing and thanks once again to Chico Racing for putting on an awesome event. 




Cheers,
Sue

2 comments: