Monday, November 21, 2011

"Cross"ing Over......

Event: Bloomer Park Cyclocross Race
Promoter:  Tailwind-Racing
Date:  Nov. 20, 2011
My ride:


I decided mid-week (last week) that I was going to do the cyclocross race at Bloomer.  I have never been out to watch a cyclocross race let alone race in one!  This was going to be a new experience, no pressure at all!  I had been off my bike since Iceman and was getting the "itch" to get my heart rate up again! :)  Friday I practiced some mounting and dismounting.  On Sat. I was trying to figure out what tires I should use and opted for a trip to a local bike shop to grab myself some cyclocross tires.  They mounted great on my 29er rims!!



With the race time being 12:15 pm, I actually got to sleep in a bit.  Once we arrived at Bloomer, I registered, got a real quick warm up in and checked out a section of the course.  I lined up next to the other pro women, and was the solo female on a mountain bike.  I wasn't sure what to expect and the race got off with a short sprint for the holeshot prime.  We then settled into a good pace.  It took me about (3) laps to get used to the tires and the short course.



After 45 min, the race was done!  I couldn't believe it, I even questioned the announcers as I came across the finish line!  I am used to at least double the length race.  I had a blast!  It was/is great "cross" training!!  :)



Top 3:
Kelly Paterson (Wolverine/ACFstores.com) - 1st
Me (Quiring Cycles) - 2nd
Anne Schwartz (Flying Rhino) - 3rd


Thanks Tailwind for helping make my 1st cyclocross race a great experience.  I got a feeling I will be doing another!

Cheers,
Sue

1 comment: