Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Peak2Peak.....................



Ya, I guess you could say I'm a little late with this post race report!!
This was my second year racing Peak2Peak at Crystal Mountain near Traverse City, Michigan.  The event was very well organized and promoted.  The turnout was awesome for participants and spectators alike.

Jay and I made this race a day trip.  I didn't remember from last year that it was a 5 hour drive each way!  Being the passenger though, I guess is not as bad as being the driver! (Thanks Jay)  The weather was awesome and the pro-women field was strong. 

The course was mostly flowing single-track, not very technical, with lots of room to pass.  Toward the end of the approx. 18 km lap there was a couple of climbs.  The first was a pitchier, punch up, switch back climb and the second was about 1 km long, up the back of the ski hill.  The back to back climbing put a bit of hurt on the legs.

It's always exciting to take to the line next to my teammate Erin Vicary.  Without going into too much detail here's how the race played out:
Lap 1 - The race started on a gradual grass climb, I took the holeshot and led up the climb.  For 3/4 of the first lap it was myself (Bell's/Quiring), Erin (Bell's/Quiring), and Danielle Musto (Salsa Cycles) in a line.  Johanna Schmidt (Haggerty) caught up just before the climbing at the end of the lap.  By the end of lap 1 I had put about 20 sec. on Joanna and Erin and Danielle had dropped back a bit.
Lap 2 - I put a bit more distance on second place Johanna.  I was slowing down and not feeling all that great.  The course for the most part was pretty flat which forced you to be on the gas the whole time.  My lap time had dropped quite a bit from lap one.
Lap 3 (final lap) - Where's the finish.  The fun that I had for the first two laps was quickly turning into counting down the miles.  I think that the long season is catching up to me and the body is due for a break.  The finish line finally came and I crossed in first place for the W!

Post race we sat around with fellow cyclist, had a couple drinks, and a quick bite to eat.  The atmosphere at the race was awesome and both spectators and racers had a great time!  Thanks to Tad Peacock, Endoman Promotions and his crew for a great event and a huge thanks for equal payout!! 

Overall, the course is super fast and flowy and the final long climb is the deal breaker which separates the field.  The climb is taken out of the course for the earlier categories so it makes for a great course for racers just getting into the sport.  I would highly recommend racing the Peak to Peak to everyone.

Results - Top 5:
1st - Sue Stephens - Bell's Brewery/Quiring Cycles
2nd - Johanna Schmidt - Haggerty
3rd - Danielle Musto - Salsa Cycles
4th - Erin Vicary - Bell's Brewery/Quiring Cycles
5th - Laura Webb - Haggerty

Cheers,
Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment