Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I Don't Want To Grow Up...............

It was a long awesome Easter weekend.  The weather was beautiful on Saturday, and that made things easier for Erin and I to do our 4 hour bike ride!  This time, she crossed the border and met me at my place.  I had a route planned that would eventually take us to the Southern most tip of Canada..... in Point Pelee National Park.  Lake Erie was "eerily" calm!  We had a great ride, grinning ear to ear as we pedaled our bikes!  We even hopped onto the wide dirt/gravel trail that travels through Point Pelee, and like 2 little kids enjoyed the "undulating" ground... as Erin would say!  :)

Erin making her first trip to "l'extremite du Canada"

Easter shenanigans on Sunday....  Alright my thinking is this:  "regardless of how old you are, you must amuse your mother and take part in an egg hunt and Easter basket search!"  Yep, not even my 17 year old son or my 15 year old daughter were exempt from this tradition!  Mind you when the 2 younger boys woke up at 6:30am Easter morning their older brother was not very pleased!  Our daughter joined in with the younger boys encouraging the oldest to get up!  Ya, I was already awake because I still get excited about these things.  This would be the kid in me.  I would have searched for a basket.  Why not?  :)  The process this year was a little different......  a) blank white puzzle that I customized for each child  b) a riddle on the back of each to help them find their basket  c) puzzles taken apart and the pieces mixed up  d) pieces put in the plastic eggs  e) each child needed to find only the eggs with their name on them  f) after they had found all 9 of their eggs, they had to work together to figure out who had who's puzzle pieces to complete their individual puzzle  g) puzzles done... read riddle and go find their basket, which were all hidden outside!  Let's just say by the time they got to the puzzle making all 4 kids were having fun, yes that's right, contrary to what he would say, even the oldest was smiling!  

Egg hunt preparations.......

Team work??

So you see, just because we get older, have kids and obviously new responsibilities, it doesn't mean we have to stop having fun.  It doesn't mean we have to play the role that society thinks a certain age should.  I'm willing to break that mold and I hope my kids learn from that as well and will do the same.  I'm not the youngest heading to the start line of the pro women's field, in fact many times I'm the oldest.  Why let age define us?  Have fun, be goofy, laugh at yourself, live a little would ya?  :)

Cheers,
Sue

2 comments: