Monday, September 16, 2013

Battle at The Burg..... A Real Battle........

Well September racing didn't start off too great.  I raced all of maybe 20 minutes at Addison Oaks before taking a pretty hard crash!  I was using Addison as a "get the legs ready" for Battle at The Burg (which was taking place the following weekend).  I felt great right from the start and had a commanding lead over the rest of the women's field.  With about 1 mile to go in lap 1 (of 5) I clipped my pedal on something and I went flying over my handlebars.  My right quad took a hard hit but I got up quickly wanting to keep moving.  As I picked up my bike I noticed I had snapped off my front brake lever.  I wrapped the brake cable around my handlebar and thought I can ride without it.  I straddled my bike to get back pedaling and with very little pressure on my handlebar, it snapped!  With the impact from my crash I broke my handlebar, brake, lockout, and rear shifter!  Now I had no choice but to walk.... because unlike some.... I cannot "ride a bike with no handlebar!"  So that was it, race over.  I limped around cheering on my teammate Erin and the other racers!

(Team G.R.I.T./Domino's post Addison)

All week I was really sore!  I couldn't bend my right leg completely until Friday.  My right quad was lumpy, bumpy and bruised.  I got on the bike on Friday to try some openers.  They went alright.  I did not have much power but I knew my endurance would compensate.  I did not want to miss out on this awesome race and I committed to going.  Besides.... the weather forecast looked great and I had some anger about my crash to deal with!

With the pro race starting at 1:30 on Saturday we were able to easily make the race a day trip.  We arrived at the venue around noon.  Registered, warmed up, went to the line.  For such a GREAT event, I was bummed that there weren't more women out to race.  The payout, the course, the sponsors, the promoter (Matthew Schmucker).... all top notch!  This race should be/must be put on your calendars to do next year!!  So needless to say, we were a small field but the ladies that were there, were supper cool and I am glad I got to meet them!!

(Top of the ski hill climb - Julie McGraw Photography)

I lead the whole race.  I felt pretty crappy.  I think I was pedaling with one leg, or so it seemed/felt.  My body was not recovered from my crash.  I just aimed to be as smooth as possible, as I battled with my focus.  In the end my perseverance paid off.  I defended my title crossing the line in first.  Not a pretty win but a win none the less.

(The descent - Julie McGraw Photography)

(Podium Pic- Jack Kunnen)

I'm not sure what I will be up to for the next couple of weeks.  Maybe spectate, maybe ride.... one thing is for sure I will focus on recovering!

Cheers,
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment