Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fricken Freezin' Ride #1.........

 
The Rig
2006 Jamis Dragon pieced together as a 'make shift' single speed.  Too lazy to change out the1.8 mud tires that were mounted on some old Mavic wheels.  33 tooth chainring up front and 12 teeth in the back.  Just enough gear to hang on but will need a bigger ring when the pace picks up.

The Wear
It never matters how many layers you put on as the feet are the first to go.  Winter riding boots + 2 pairs of wool socks + heat packs = still not enough.

The Refreshment
Chunks of ice from the water bottle followed by a much needed cup of hot coffee at Talula Cafe.

The Ride
Brrrrrr....... 3.5 hours after the ride, I am still trying to get the feeling back in my toes!! It was the first ride in the 2011 WRCS. We couldn't have had a colder day to start off the series! But really, what do you expect when the series is properly titled "Winter Ride Challenge Series"? The meeting spot was Talula Cafe. There was approximately 35 riders out. How awesome is that? Some familiar faces from last year and many new ones. However, with everyone sporting balaclavas it was hard to figure out who was who.  The ride went from pavement, to gravel and back to pavement over the 56 kms or so. I started off with cold feet and hands but once we got moving the hands warmed up. My feet went from cold to frozen, to numb, to oddly warm tingles, to frozen and then when I took my biking boots off...... they went to pain. That's when I realized just how cold my feet really were. The thing is I know I wasn't the only one with cold feet, so comfort in numbers I guess! The ride was a nice casual conversation pace. We wrapped things up with a cup of coffee. Winter riding...... I like, even if it is fricken freezin' out!

Cheers,
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment