Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ontario Cup #5 - Buckwallow..................

Last Thursday, van packed, utility trailer in tow, 5 kids loaded in the van (original plans were to only bring the older 2 but we decided heck bring all 4 and my oldest sons bf), we were heading down the 401 by 6:30 a.m., making our way to the Muskoka’s!! It was for Ontario Cup #5. The venue was Buckwallow Cycling Centre in Gravenhurst.

Buckwallow is so unique and different from the rest of the O-Cup venues. The climbing is minimal in comparison but technical, with roots and rocks even on the double track climbs. The single track is boulder/flat rock/root covered. The trail maintenance is amazing thanks to the Buckwallow manager/owner Mike. I was soooo excited just to get out and ride on the trails.

Another bonus to Buckwallow is we can camp right next to the venue at the KOA. Upon arrival, we set up camp, aka ‘Fort Stephens’. It was very humid and the mosquitoes were out in full force. Lots of bug spray and After Bite was needed!! Anyhow, I made lunch and then to the trails I went. I did a couple of laps on the vaguely marked race course (later realizing I had missed a couple of single track sections).

Thursday, late night, through morning brought rain, and lots of it. The ground however is very sandy and is a natural sponge.

I took Friday off the bike and just relaxed and chatted with fellow cyclists/friends. We also got a visit from my cousin Cindy and husband Phil (Xavier too). They were staying at their cottage nearby. How awesome!! The kids swam, fished, biked, hiked, and kept themselves busy.

Friday night, we sat around the bonfire with the company of fellow cyclists Mandy and Gabe Dreyer. Bell’s - Oberon was not in shortage as Jay introduced it to Gabe and the 2 enjoyed a ‘few’. Good conversation and laughs and next thing you know it’s 1:30 a.m.! Late night but worth it!

Saturday morning came, sunny skies, and Jay was up and ready for his 9:00 ride with Phil. My plan was to pre-ride around 1:00 pm with a small group of guys. I was looking to get some ‘line’ ideas from Eric Jobin (expert rider). We left right on time, Eric, Tony (expert rider) and 3 cadet men riders. I have never pre-rode a lap the way we did, slower, trying different lines, analyzing the course along the way. The trails were in great shape, the rain had all been absorbed. The tips were good and I learned to read the trail a bit differently. Thanks guys!!

Fast forward to race day………..nothing out of the ordinary, same routine, warmup, and to the staging area we went. My kids had raided my biking bag and found my extra Bell’s/Quiring ‘kit’ articles. Paiten in the wind jacket, Clayton in my other riding jacket and Bell’s trucker's cap, Nelson in my vest! How cool is that?? My cousin Cindy came back to cheer me on, the boys ran along many sections of the course cheering and Paiten took her spot as my ‘feeder’ in the feed zone.

At ‘go’, well… we went! I wasn’t able to get clipped in right away but eventually did and went back and forth with Sue Havilland (Norco Evolution). She got to the single track first. She is a very strong rider and a great technical rider. I stayed within 15 sec. of her after the first lap. I overheated a bit after lap 1, took my gloves off on lap 2, small wipeout ‘sans’ gloves put small pickers in my right palm to be taken out by my teeth, took a water ‘dump’ going into lap 3, got my right grip (silicon) wet and had to do the death grip on it until it dried! (No biggie lesson learned, gloves stay on, water dump before overheating). Over the next 3 laps Sue H. continued to pull away a little at a time. I made several blunders, silly mistakes and had a few wipeouts but overall was pleased with my race. As I mentioned this course does not have a lot of climbing, however, it beats and fatigues the entire body, but I loved it!!

Final Results (Top 3):
Sue Havilland (Norco Evolution) – 1st
Sue Stephens (Bell’s/Quiring) – 2nd
Heather Gray (Cycle Solutions/Angry Johnny’s) – 3rd

As a side note: A couple of years ago I dislocated my elbow at Buckwallow, at the same spot this year, a rider broke his leg and Mandy Dryer went down within the first 5 minutes of the race and fractured her wrist!

We had such a great weekend that I wasn’t ready to come home. In fact it is now Wed. and I still haven’t totally finished unpacking! Maybe I should just load it all back up and head back north to the Muskoka’s where I know good times always await!!

Cheers,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment