Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"Bell's Belles" Part 2...................

Stony Creek TT
The alarm went off at 6:30 am Sunday, a bit tempted to hit the snooze button but the excitement of racing outweighed the comfort of Erin's pull out couch so I dragged myself out of bed.  I made my way to the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee, Canadiana style ( Tim Hortons).   While quietly fumbling around I took a quick peak outside and it looked like it had rained quite a bit overnight??  I got to thinking what Stony would be like today after all the rain...Last night I had decided to play it safe and keep the aggressive 'mud' tires that I used for the Tree Farm Relay on my bike just in case Stony was hit hard.  Besides if  I was to change them, it would be up to Erin and I to re-Stans the other set and I haven't yet mastered that feat on my own.  Soon Erin was up and she made a good breakfast.  I packed all my stuff, made H2O bottles, got dressed and we were out the door by 7:35 am.  Jay was meeting me at Stony Creek with Kim, Paiten (birthday girl) and Clayton.
We arrived at Stony at around 8:30.  Jay did a quick once over on my bike, I got registered and as a true friend forced Kim to start at the same time as me!! 
Erin and I warmed up together and checked out the beginning of the course.  Unfortunatley I don't get out to ride at Stony as much as I would like.  There are so many good riding spots in Southeastern Michigan that are a little closer to the bridge.  Michigan is awesome.  From the short pre-ride I learned that there is a long double track that leads up to the first water crossing, which I found to be totally rideable.  Due to time, that was as far as we got so the rest of the course will just have to wait until the race. 
My start time was 10:22:30.  Kim and I lined up and watched Erin head out 30 sec. ahead of us.  With her off it was our turn.  Count down and go.  I heard him say go, but my legs didn't get the message.  The course began with an energy sucking, power sapping stretch of grass that lead up to the double track.  I had to really push to get up to speed and it wasn't long before Erin was out of sight.  From the grass the course turned to a gravel double track and to the first water crossing.  Through the water and up the muddy bank and I was back on the gravel double track.  I think it was about 7 kms into the course and I caught up to Erin.  She was moving pretty good.  I passed Erin and I planned to spend the rest of the TT just trying to be smooth and find some flow.  The double track eventually narrowed to some really fun/flowy single track containing a few super slick wooden bridges.  The rider in front of me slid out on the bridge which served as a warning to slow it down.   I pretty much crawled across the bridges and managed to stay upright.  By this time I realized that much of the course had dried up nicely and I went overkill on my tires.  I should have taken a chance and changed to the Barro Races.   
Shortly after I came up to the section where I had taken a face plant last year at the marathon race.  That mistake bent my front wheel and I had to DNF.  I made sure that this time...... I took the left line!! Much better...less blood.
The remainder of the ride went without a hitch and I finished the 13 mile loop in 53 and a half minutes.
Soon after Erin comes in and she is pedalling, that's a good sign, but wait, there's blood!!  She had taken a wipeout on one of the bridges and got a nice cut on her forearm and bruised up her inner thigh.  I guess that was her 'welcome back to racing'.  Not long after Kim came through and finished strong.

Results Expert/Elite Women:
Sue Stephens (Bell's Brewery/Quiring Cycles) - 1st
Lynn Alfs (Paint Creek Bicycles) - 2nd
Dana Baurhenn (Wolverine/ACFstores.com) - 3rd
Erin Vicary (Bell's Brewery/Quiring Cycles) - 4th
Kim Rocheleau - 5th

The weather couldn't have been nicer.  Jay and Paiten went out for a ride on the course and the rest of us just relaxed.  I chatted up with fellow cyclists.  I'm really happy with the Quiring 29.  It has seen a good variety of terrain from steep climbs, long climbs, tight single track, technical riding....I think it is the right bike for just about any type of XC race/ride!! But more importantly it is simply fun to ride.
Seemed like we had just arrived and now it was time to pack up.  After an awesome weekend of hangin' with my teammy' she headed her way.  Jay, Kim, the kids and I did a quick 'Meijer run' and headed for the border.
This weekend was a bit of a break from the normal seriousness and intensity that comes with XC racing.  I am fortunate to live close enough to Michigan to enjoy some really good riding and the always friendly competition.


Erin is fast just standing there!!  Look at the hair.

Final stretch of double track before the finish!
Cheers,
Sue

2 comments:

  1. "Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean, my fist got hard and my wits got keen, I'd rode from town to town to...kick some Ore to Shore a**! MY NAME SUE, HOW DO YA DO?!"

    Good luck up there Sue! Good luck Bell's/Quiring!

    Joberon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joberon!!

    Always awesome to hear from you and your encouragement is much appreciated!!

    Sue :o)

    ReplyDelete