Friday, July 2, 2010

Subaru Cup, Wisconsin................

The who’s who of USA pro women mtb racers were in full colour in Wisconsin last weekend. WORS was hosting their Subaru Cup, which this year also doubled as a USA Cycling Pro XCT national race.

Jay and I drove through the night on Thurs. (actually, he drove I slept)! We arrived in Wisconsin, at the venue (Nordic Mountain) around 7:30 am (6:30 am WI time). We checked out the terrain and the on-site camping. The place was quite, you would never have known that there was going to be a big race the next day.

We opted to camp at a camp ground about 10 minutes away. It was a good choice because it was spacious, rustic and had pine tree covered sites. Peaceful, and quiet just what I wanted!! So we set up our tent, took a 2 hour nap, and then went back to the venue to sign in and pre-ride the course. The course was sooo much fun. It had alot of switch back climbing and switch back descents, very little free speed, so the short 5 mile lap made you work.

That night we enjoyed comfortable temps, good eatin’ and a great night’s sleep. I was so out of it that I didn’t even hear the thunderstorm that roared through in the middle of the night.

Saturday, race day came real fast. We made a quick tire change (GEAX Barro Race), did some fine tuning on my bike and we were at the venue by 11:30. My warm-up flew by and by 12:15 pm they were already calling the pro women to the staging area. After call up I found myself in the 3rd and last row. With the national anthem sang, “GO” was inevitable. Some of the racers charged up the opening climb faster than others.  I found myself in the “others” category. A few tire rubs and tight squeezing through sections and I settled into the climb. Once again my recovery was not that great and I rode a steady pace, not a race pace. I almost feel like I’m beginning to sound like a broken record. Time to reevaluate things! My effort was good enough for 16th.

Top 5 podium spots went as follows:

Georgia Gould (Luna Pro Team) – 1st
Willow Koerber (Trek/Subaru) – 2nd
Heather Irmiger (Trek/Subaru) – 3rd
Amanda Sinn (Canadian – 3 Rox Racing) – 4th
Katie Compton (Planet Bike) – 5th

We headed for home early Sunday morning, taking a small detour through Kalamazoo, MI to pick up some Bell’s beer. Just what I needed!! :o)

My week has been busy, kids are now out of school for the summer and I have chosen to take the week off from training! Hopefully I will have fresh legs by Sunday and I can resume with some harder effort training rides.

Cheers,

Sue



No comments:

Post a Comment